I want to begin by saying this plainly:
I’m not writing this out of hatred, fear, or a desire to mock anyone. I’m writing because I believe questions matter, especially when a topic is treated as settled, but still feels unresolved for many.
I believe gender is something given, not constructed. I believe it has meaning beyond aesthetics or self-expression. And because I believe that, I find myself sitting with questions.
So this is not an argument. it’s a collection of honest questions.
If gender is entirely separate from biology,
why does it seem to be expressed almost entirely through appearance?
If clothing has no gender,
why does wearing a skirt suddenly make someone a woman?
If makeup doesn’t define womanhood,
why is it so often used to signal it?
If we are told that gender stereotypes are harmful,
why do we lean on those same stereotypes to validate a gender identity?
I’m told that what you wear doesn’t determine who you are, and I agree.
But then I’m confused when changing clothes, hair, or presentation is treated as proof of a new gender identity.
If a man grows his hair long, wears makeup, and puts on a dress,
why is the conclusion that he is a woman,
instead of simply a man who dresses differently? Why is that option never enough?
If gender is internal and invisible,
why must it be constantly affirmed externally?
And if gender is fluid,
why does it so often settle into very traditional images of masculinity and femininity?
I also wonder:
What does this say to women?
If womanhood can be entered through appearance alone,
what does that mean for the lived reality of being female?
I believe gender is not a costume we put on, but a reality that shapes us, body and soul together.
That doesn’t mean people don’t experience pain, confusion, or alienation from their bodies. I don’t deny that struggle. But I wonder whether the answer to that suffering is redefinition, or reconciliation.
No comments:
Post a Comment