Thursday, January 1, 2026

Regret Is Not Romance: Rethinking Snape and Lily

 I don’t care that Snape still “loved” Lily. In fact, I don’t believe he truly loved her at all. Lily had moved on, built a life, and then died. Are we really meant to believe he couldn’t let go of that? What he felt reads far more like infatuation tangled with guilt and regret than genuine love.

Snape chose the Dark side. That was his decision. Yes, he eventually defects, but that doesn’t erase what came before. And if he truly regretted those choices, why did he spend six years bullying Lily’s son at Hogwarts simply because Harry resembled James?

Snape, maybe if you’d chosen differently in the first place, things would have been different.

If his feelings for Lily were rooted in love, why couldn’t he forgive James after all those years? Why did that bitterness survive Lily’s death? The answer feels obvious: he didn’t forgive him, and he took that unresolved resentment out on a teenage boy who had nothing to do with it.

You can’t claim to love someone while actively harming the person they loved most.

This isn’t a writing flaw on J.K. Rowling’s part. Snape is written consistently. The issue is how people interpret his confession. I don’t find it romantic. I find it tragic in a very human way. His obsession with Lily wasn’t love, it was unresolved guilt, grief, and self-loathing that he never healed. And instead of facing it, he let it curdle into cruelty.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About me with pics

I like music :) Me. Hewwo! My name is Camiwwa! Dis is my hair This is me in a dress because im a member of the church of Jesus Christ of Lat...